The Q Class Universal Sailboats at SSYC
Beginning in the early 1930’s, prior to the club house even being built, members at SSYC were beginning to purchase Q Class Universal sailboats from New England and bringing them back to SSYC. This era marked the domination of the Q’s in racing on Lake Michigan. Over the years there have been at least 9 Q’s at SSYC with 8 of them being memorialized by the half-models in the SSYC clubhouse which were donated by Otto Dreher, the owner of Q-7 Lively Lady, one of the most successful Q’s at SSYC.
Click here to download a presentation that highlights the history of the Q’s, their journey to Milwaukee and their current whereabouts. (Just be aware, it is a large PDF document.)