Discover The New ssyc.org
No, You're Not Seeing Things
Three weeks ago South Shore Yacht Club launched an all-new mobile responsive website designed to better support our recruitment efforts and provide improved service to you, our members. I hope you'll take a tour to discover its new features. Among them:
• An easier-to-use members' directory. Because there were so many obsolete entries, we are asking you to log in and update your profile. It's simple. BTW, you also can upload an avatar and start a photo gallery.
• ssyConnect, a members-only social network. It works just like Facebook but is absolutely, totally private, off limits to the outside world.
• An enhanced contact system for our members and guests to connect quickly with the appropriate club personnel.
• A dynamic, more detailed weather feature on the front page.
• Online application and deposit payment for new members.
• Online registration and payment for all fleets. If you still prefer to register the old-fashioned way, the forms you need are easier than ever to find and to download.
• Our first-ever testimonials page. It's a good start, but we're always looking for more volunteers.
• Online submissions to The Compass.
• Complete mobility. All features work on phones and tablets. Someone who wants to, for example, could apply for membership and pay the $100 fee from any smartphone.
The Big Picture
Above all, the site is designed to make a big impression on future members - especially those belonging to the younger generations from which we need to recruit. So if the site skews a little young, that's deliberate. If you see lots more images of real people having fun, versus pictures of boats, that's also deliberate. In totality we've tried to endow South Shore Yacht Club with what marketing folks call a brand identity, built out from our motto "Harbor of Hospitality."
Most of the content which is only for us members is now housed under the mainmenu click, "For Members." In that menu dropdown, you will see a new click, "Members Home." It is now your destination for club news and members-only features including the members' directory and ssyConnect. If you hover over "For Members," you will drop down the latest events module showing what's happening at the club right now. This way it's accessible from any page you happen to be viewing.
When I became publications chair in November, I gave some considerable thought to the website. For years it had been run on a volunteer basis by IT geniuses including Peter Engel and Dave Wehnes. What we needed to add, I felt, was a marketing pro. So I turned to Jim Gribble, owner of Javelin Communications web design. He kept me informed every step of the way; the developmental site was made available to the entire board so directors could literally watch it being built in real time. We know the end result isn't perfect. On the other hand, there really is no "end result." This is only the starting point for a communications tool that will evolve over time as a result of your valued input.
Many thanks to PC Bruce Nason for his great photos of club life; to SSYC Director Peter Engel for his tireless, expert tech support; and to PC Dave Wehnes for laying the technical foundation upon which all of this has been built. Of course also thanks to Commodore Artka and all my fellow board members who took an interest and lent their support and feedback. And thanks to Cynthia Johnson and PC Dave Tucholka for contributing our first-ever online testimonials!