Wednesday Evening Program
Town of Lake
January 29, 2014 @ 7:00 PM
Presented by Ron Winkler
Building on last year’s program about Bay View, the January program again is presented jointly with the Bay View Historical Society who will join SSYC members that night for the program.
The Town of Lake was created in 1838 as one of Milwaukee’s seven towns. The original borders were Greenfield Avenue on the North, College Avenue on the South, 27th Street to the West and, of course, Lake Michigan on the East. Over the years, pieces of it were incorporated into other municipalities. For example, St. Francis was incorporated in 1951 so the benefits of the Lakeside Power Plant would accrue to the newly formed municipality rather than the City of Milwaukee. Finally, in 1954, the Town of Lake residents voted to consolidate with the City of Milwaukee and went out of existence.
Town of Lake buildings are still very evident in the area. The Water Tower at 4001 South Sixth Street was built as a WPA project in 1940. The water tank was demolished in 2001, but the building still houses City of Milwaukee offices.
The Landmark Inn on Howell just north of College is about the only evidence of a once thriving community of New Coeln and the Landmark was the New Coeln House.
Of course the St. Francis Seminary, founded in 1845, is a landmark for many sailors.
Ron has much information to share as a result of his research in preparation for the publication of the Acadia Book series, “Images of America, Milwaukee’s Town of Lake”. The book will be published in December and available at the program for purchase.
Upcoming programs will be February 26, the Breakwater Lighthouse, and March 26, the State of Lake Michigan. For more information about the SSYC Winter Programs, contact Sharon Cook, 414-232-6051.