Spring has finally “sprung” at SSYC and the boats are all launched. Now it is time to enjoy our 100th anniversary year and the boating season…
Mel Fabiszak and his team have worked some long hours to replace all of the wave boards in the ”U” and the face docks. The new vertical 4x6’s look like they at least twice as strong as the old 4x4’s. Thank you to all of the members who helped Mel with this project.
The 100th Anniversary committee has been working just as hard. The bronze plaque is installed in the pavement by the front door, thanks to the efforts of Warren Kruse, George Artka and others. It looks great and, in contrast to the 75th plaque, you can’t miss it! The club has clothing available with the logo designed by Blanca Abend embroidered on it. Kay Putney and Cara Gaitens have had some SSYC playing cards printed. And, of course, Deanna Housfeld painted a picture of the club just for the 100th, and prints are available in the office. Chris Gribble has been working tirelessly on all of the photos for the tile grid. Over 90% of the tiles have been ordered, so she’s just waiting for the last few photos from members. Can we get it installed in time for the Review of the Fleet?
The 100th anniversary party, organized by Bruce Nason, Arrie Larsen-Manti and Pat Nora, was held on May 18th. 180 of our members attended and a few of the politicians stopped by (and stayed a while). We received congratulatory proclamations from the Governor, the County Executive, the Mayor and the Common Council. Once again, our staff excelled once again and a wonderful selection of food, wine and beverages was available.
The first Powerboat event is this week. The first SS/SSS race is on May 29th. The lasers will start racing a day before that. The first PHRF regatta, the Skelding, is on June 1st. The Review of the Fleet will be held on June 8th. So there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy your boat, the club and the company of your fellow members. Don’t be shy. Come down to SSYC where it’s “always summer”.
I want to thank everyone who attended the meeting to discuss the future of life membership on April 23rd. I especially want to thank those of you who returned the bottom portion of the handout with your ideas and preferences. About 30% of the sheets that were turned in had “keep things as they are” marked as the preferred choice. The other 70% favored some sort of change and their preferences were spread across most of the ideas presented. The by-laws committee just met and is in the process of analyzing the results and hopes to have a recommendation ready to present to the membership later this year.
The new six-element Wi-Fi antenna is installed and working. It will provide “N” level service to the docks. We now have six Wi-Fi transceivers in operation, three inside the building and three outside. They are all operating through the “SSYC” SSID without any security. We will activate the “SSYC-BAR” SSID once again in June and limit it to the inside transmitters. It will operate without any security. Once “SSYC-BAR” is active we will password protect the “SSYC” SSID. The “SSYC” ID will continue to work both inside the building and throughout the docks and mooring area. Once your device is setup with the correct password, it will be the better option for seamless connectivity at the club.
The water is up about a foot from where it was last fall, and that’s very good news for anyone with a deep-draft boat, and will hopefully reduce the cost of any dredging that is needed. Unfortunately, the MMSD overflows associated with a couple of the storms has reduces the water quality in our basin. Swimming is not only against our rules, but is not a good idea. Please check your dock lines after these last few storms and replace any that are worn. A few dollars spent on new lines is cheap insurance. And please, please be careful when working on your boat. As Russ can confirm, the water is very cold this time of year.
As always, I am honored to serve as your Commodore.